Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Anxiety abounds.....

We are all therapists right?? So, why is it that when anxiety stares you in the face, you have no idea how to handle it? OK so maybe I do know how to handle it with an actual client, but when the client is your husband who does not really want to be your client, what is a gal to do? Other than normalize & validate? Of course we all know that this is not the answer. Suggest medication? (I actually tried this tonight & he said he might be up for it-hmmm.) I feel a bit stuck gals & need some guidance. Of course anxiety is all a part of our lives, but I tell you it is kicking Brian's butt right now. He is so stressed beyond belief that he can't snap out of it. Of course he is swamped with work, is closing up one factory & moving the business to our home garage, he is training a new guy, "babysitting" the sander guy, dealing with an artist who is beyond depressed & intermittently gets a visit from a Bipolar friend who is not taking his meds & has tried to commit suicide twice. Can you blame the guy for being anxious? Not to mention that he is so busy, does not have a moment to himself, feels guilty that he is not spending quality time with Emily. Of course, we are off to North Carolina for the weekend & I am really hoping that this escape will be just what he needs. My "talk therapy" isn't all that productive these days, although he is listening & is not argumentative or defensive so that is a good sign. I am hoping that he will be able to actually relax for a day or 2, but I am fearful that he might be so worried about the work that he is not doing that he won't be able to enjoy himself. I suppose I could pump him full of cocktails? Turning to the bottle is always an option right? (Did I really just type that for the world to see?-all in good fun of course-). Well, the Stanley Cup is on right now, so that is always good medicine for him.

I am certain he will snap out of it. Maybe he can wear the Pants when they come around next month? Oh wait, I think that is against the rules. Perhaps I will just wear them a lot around him so the good luck rubs off on him. OK I feel better now that I discussed my woes. Thanks for listening gals.....
Until next time-

2 comments:

Court said...

Miss, Sounds like Bryan is really overwhlemed right now! Certainly understandable with all the changes you all are going through. I appreciate so much you sharing and can certainly relate to feeling helpless at times...which is a really hard concept when you're in the "helping profession". Oh, and if it helps - tell him I took Klonopin for a month while I was going through my dissertation defense and it did wonders - took the edge off, helped me sleep, and made things feel a whole lot more manageable. Oh, and I saw Glen on Wednesday night - that's another good cure for me! :)

Court said...

Oh, and rules??? What rules??? I say that if the pants would help Brian right now - by all means...let him wear them!

Oh, and crap - I just realized that I misspelled Bri's name in my last comment - used a "y"... Oops!!! Freud would have a field day with that one!